Basic Dimensional Metrology
Metrology is the science of measurement. Everything that a manufacturer can do to improve the quality of both product and process depends upon accurate measurement. The seminar instructor teaches the correct use and care of measuring equipment commonly used in precision machine tool metalworking occupations and by quality assurance personnel and operators in any manufacturing facility. English units of measure will be used, although use of the metric system by participants who use metric measurements on the job can be accommodated.
You will learn
- What dimensional metrology is.
- Reasons and uses for measurement.
- The definitions of precision, accuracy and reliability.
- How to read a 6″ steel rule.
- How to read, care for, use and calibrate vernier/dial measuring tools.
- How to read, care for, use and calibrate micrometers (outside, inside).
- How to read, care for, use and calibrate dial indicators.
Who will benefit
- Operators responsible for sampling/charting
- Quality assurance personnel
- First-line supervisors and managers
- Machine tool metalworkers
- Reasons and Uses of Measurement
- The Language of Measurement
- Reference points and measured points
- Precision, accuracy, and reliability
- Accuracy versus precision
- Systems of Measurement
- Measurement With Graduated Scales
- Reading the 6″ steel rule
- The role of error
- Hands-on practice with the steel rule
- Micrometer Instruments
- Outside Micrometers
- Micrometer reading
- Accuracy, precision and discrimination
- Micrometers using vernier scales
- Metric micrometers
- Digital micrometers
- Micrometer construction
- What a micrometer measures
- Using the Micrometer
- Controlled force feature
- Error avoidance
- Hands-on practice – measuring flat parts
- Hands-on practice – measuring cylindrical parts
- The Inside Micrometer
- Hands-on practice with the inside micrometer
- Care of Micrometers
- Vernier Calipers
- Reading Vernier Calipers
- Measurement with vernier calipers
- Accuracy checks for vernier calipers
- Hands-on practice – vernier calipers
- Reading Dial Calipers
- How to read dial calipers
- Hands-on practice – dial calipers
- Measuring With Dial Indicators
- Balanced indicator dials
- Continuous indicator dials
- Hands-on practice – dial indicators
In-House Training Available
For additional information about in-house training, please email email@example.com.